Weddingbee should...

Scammers, a suggestion

Yesterday, after I called this first time poster out for having an Etsy affiliate link, she deleted the thread. first she denied it but I posted Etsy’s info re the affiliate link and who it went to, and presto, she deleted. (I still have the name of the affiliate, if anyone needs it.)

Read more: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/tiara-or-not-to-tiara-2/#ixzz3iLCT537

once you click one of these undisclosed and unethical links, many programs, like Amazon, give the affiliate scammer (I use that word because posting links on forums is a violation of affiliate rules, as they use someone’s else’s business – the Bee, in this case- to make a profit and it also damages the forum’s or site’s reputation on Google) a portion of your purchases for 24 hours, even when unrelated to their link.

The buyer doesn’t even know this is happening, unless they know what to look for.

if Etsy works like Amazon, that means for 24 hours that affiliate poster is earning money off of people who clicked her tiara link. On anything they buy.

This is a problem on all forums, obviously.

I think it would be a great step to ban first time posters from posting links. This can be done automatically with a plug- in on many formats.

If anyone should get an affiliate link, it should be the people who pay for or work/volunteer to run this place. I wouldn’t mind a portion of my purchases going to people who volunteer here.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BALLETPARKERBALLETPARKER shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • WeddingbeeAdminWeddingbee (Admin, Weddingbee) commented  · 

Thanks for suggesting this idea. I think it's worth considering and will bring it up with our Admin team in our next meeting. :)

• Anonymous commented  · 

Hi there balletparker... I noticed that you mentioned that i posted an affiliate link on another post, i also see my comment was deleted, but i would just like to let you know that i just logged into etsy, found the ring in my 'favourites' sections copied the url and pasted it... I am definitely not making any money from that merchant or any merchant, if first time pisters get shunned for commenting on threads how are we actually able to utilise the forum. I dont know why i feel the need to defend myself but i do... Anyway, good luck with all those scammers!

Feedback and Knowledge Base